Διατηρεί την πίστη...

I know you can.

6/15/10

City Girl: Meet Helen

Helen and I have been facebook friends for about 3 years. I have always admired her beauty, style, and her beautiful hair. Enjoy!

Where are you from? Where were you born? What ethnicity are you?

I'm from the horn of Africa, specifically Eritrea. I was born and reside in Toronto, Ontario. My ethnicity is Nubian.

Can you tell us about the culture/city life of Toronto?
Toronto is Hipster Ville. Currently rich people dress like they are poor, hipsters buy organic dog food and drink lots of Starbucks coffee. Everyone uses excessive hand sanitizer. Toronto has an incredible music scene. The talent here is infinite. I have an AMAZING circle of people around me. We have bbq's, house parties and enjoy the pleasure of conversation. I check out poetry shows in the city and participate/lead social justice events. Revolution and community work is how I enjoy the city and remain humble and in tune with my purpose.



How would you describe your style? What inspires it?

My style is bipolar. It looks different all the time depending on how I feel that day. However, I do have signature things about my style. Huge hoop earrings, high heels and my curly afro dominate my style. My style is 'afrocentric', sexy and colorful. I think everyone should wear lots of color, it puts a smile on my face.


What made you go natural?

I like to wear my hair the way it grows out my head. I also politicize my natural hair. I like to keep my dollar in the black community, one way of doing that is not buying other people's hair from Korean business owners. I think there are serious impacts of having someone else' hair, which has their DNA attached to my scalp.I feel most beautiful and creative when my hair is in its natural state.What are your plans for life?To continue my spiritual progress. To evolve and BE in the moment and to remain the radical, hippie, creative, crazy, souljah that I am.BIG Ups to Evolving and Peace to the Revolution!

Leave us with some words of wisdom:

Don't Drink and Drive. Get High and Fly (I read that on a poster once.)

Goddesses don't be fooled or get caught up in the romanticism of marriage, looking like a model, gender roles, material possessions, sexual conservatism and anything else that is bullshit and keeps womyn in boxes.Remember who you are, If you don't know who you are then do the inner work for your consciousness to awaken. Happiness and Freedom is your natural state of being.
LOVE & LIGHT.

1 comment:

  1. helen, your sooo cool!!!! love the third pic!! that is so me!! i wanna be fb friends, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete